Scenario
← Scenarios hub·Last updated
Existing HK policy concerns: questions before adding
Already hold HK cover but feel uneasy: verify documents, licence, cooling-off/surrender cash value and whether purpose still holds; beware “old policy bad—switch now” scripts.
Unease often means information gaps—not automatic “wrong buy”
Many owners never received a full delivery briefing or cannot recall cooling-off and surrender rules. Fill documents and definitions before deciding on changes—avoid replacement pitches at peak emotion.
What to do after reading
Self-check → /compliance-checklist (cooling-off helper) → /signing-day-checklist against your files → /needs/checklist to rewrite purpose. /contact if you want help organising questions.
Three core risks
- 1
Replacement causing double loss
Surrender-and-replace can combine early cash-value loss with new waiting periods/fees. Replacing without a written comparison is high risk.
- 2
Unclear documents and cooling-off status
Not knowing delivery date and cooling-off status risks missing a lawful cancel window or wrongly assuming it has expired.
- 3
Blind renewals after purpose drift
Family duties changed but sums and affordability were never reviewed—ongoing mismatch risk.
Category priority (no product names)
#1
Document and status check
Confirm what you hold and cooling-off/cash-value status before next steps.
#2
Purpose and affordability review
Rewrite the purpose sentence and stress test; decide continue, reduce, stop or reconsider.
#3
Gap-fill (only if purpose still holds)
Align medical/CI/life gaps with questions—not automatic add-ons.
#4
Replacement (last; needs written compare)
Consider only after written pros/cons and licensed assessment; forbid same-day urgingswitch.
Five self-check questions
Client-only checklist — nothing is uploaded.
Interview questions
- Using my policy wording, roughly where does guaranteed cash value sit today?
- If cooling-off has ended, what are the lawful change / reduce / surrender paths?
- Any replacement pros/cons sheet must include old-policy loss, new waiting periods, fees and purpose alignment.
- How should my purpose sentence be rewritten for today’s situation?
- What are the official paths for renewal payments and customer service contact?
- Is there any “switch today or lose” urgency? Replace it with a written timeline.
When NOT to buy
- Discussing add-on/replace before locating the policy and delivery record.
- Cooling-off status is still unknown.
- Replacement is proposed without a written pros/cons sheet.
- Unlicensed sales, private collection or guaranteed-return scripts appear.
Compliance essentials
- In-person HK signing: complete signing and suitability in Hong Kong yourself.
- Cooling-off: confirm written start rules and how to cancel.
- Licensing: verify the intermediary via IA public register.
- Direct premium payment: institutional paths only—refuse private collectors.
FAQ
- If I feel I overpaid, should I surrender immediately?
- Check cooling-off and guaranteed cash value first, then write pros/cons. Emotional instant surrender can deepen losses—bring documents to a licensed professional.
- An agent says my old policy is bad and I should switch—trust it?
- Not on verbal claims alone. Demand a written old-vs-new sheet and verify licence plus whether purpose still holds.
- What if I cannot find the policy?
- Use the insurer’s official customer service or a licensed intermediary to reissue/query—do not give sensitive data to unknown third parties.
- Can I cancel in cooling-off and buy a new policy at the same time?
- Legal and practical details vary; educationally, finish cancellation/status confirmation and rewrite purpose before any new purchase—avoid same-day double decisions.
- Will this page tell me whether to surrender?
- No. Self-check and questions only; personal decisions need your documents and licensed advice.
Takeaways & next steps
Print or copy the self-check, then generate a fuller question list or book a soft session to organise questions—no product push.